Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Navajo rug weaving

A couple of months ago I asked my grandma if she could weave me a saddle blanket and being the awesome grandmother that she is, agreed. I was so excited and while she was putting the loom together I had an epiphany- "I should learn how to weave!!!" So we made a small loom for me and she started my saddle blanket. She finished my 3' x 5' blanket in about three weeks. Here is a picture of me and my brand new saddle blanket (its folded in half). The rug behind me on my right, and the little one on my left are some she wove a long time ago and gave to my mother who then gave them to me. The one in the middle was given to us as a wedding gift by Nancy (Henson's mom). Sorry the picture is crooked- Connor was my photographer.

Here is a picture of mine...... two months later. It is hard for me to find time where I can work on it without someone 'trying to help me'- All you parents know what I'm talking about. I have just done straight lines for now cause I haven't learned how to do other designs yet. Weaving with only one color is an art of its own, and coordinating colors and coming up with a design is just crazy! But I'm sure I'll get there one day. My grandmother is now weaving Henson a saddle blanket. I'll post a picture when it is finished.

Here is a picture of my grandma holding Haidyn a while back.

5 comments:

Cleona said...

That is so awesome. I am glad you are learning. Beautiful saddle blanket.

Wiltbank Family said...

That is so awesome, I would love to learn how to that. What a great heritage that is to learn and being taught by your grandmother how awesome.

flagtown said...

I love the saddle blanket. And your blanket is coming along quite nicely. Keep up the good work.
Sounds like you had a fun family reunion.
So sorry about your dog. Hopefully she is in good hands.

Chris and Sue Knight said...

Love all the new posts. I'm so jealous, I would love to learn to weave, it is so cool. Thats wonderful that you are learning and caring on that tradition, so important to have those things to share later.

Hasegawa Crew said...

Danielle that is awesome what a great art to learn from your granma, and something you will treasure forever.